Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes
- Prokaryotic cells lack well defined nucleus and has simplified internal organization.
- It consist of single closed compartment of cytosol and bounded by the plasma membrane.
- The genetic material DNA is condensed into the central region of cell.Most of or all of the genetic informations are stored in the single condensed central DNA.It is often referred as “incipient nucleus or nucleoid”.
- The cell wall is made up of peptidoglycan,a complex of protein and oligosaccharides.
- In addition to chromosome certain bacteria may contain a circular DNA called “plasmid”.In some bacteria it is responsible for antibiotic resistance.
- Pro-False,Karyote-nucleus => False nucleus.
- Eukaryotic cells have more complicated internal structures includes well defined membrane limited nucleus Eg: Fungi,Plants and Animals.
- It comprise of all members of plant,fungi and animal kingdom as well as unicellular fungus yeast and protozoans.
- Eukaryotic cells have internal membrane bound nucleus.
- Largest organelle of eukaryotic cell is nucleus and it consist of most of the genetic cellular DNA in the form of long linear “chromosomes”.
- Total DNA in the chromosome = Genome of an organism.
- In addition mitochondria acts as a energy house of the cell,proteins and lipids are produced by rough and smooth Endoplasmic reticula.
- “Chloroplast” act as site of photosynthesis.Vacuoles store nutrients as well as waste products.
- Eu-True,Karyote-nucleus => True nucleus